How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 15060
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

In Scotland if I own my house and subsequently have a

Customer Question

In Scotland if I own my house and subsequently have a partner living with me, do they have a claim over my home and assets
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No I haven't talked to anyone. It Scotland.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None this is my first query and it is hypothetically speaking
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Camnot view?
Expert:  JGM replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for your question. A partner would have no direct claim on your house or assets. Any funds held jointly for household expenses would be deemed to be jointly owned. If the partner contributed to the house there could be a compensatory claim on a separation to redress any advantage to you arising from that contribution but that is all assuming you don’t marry. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that JustAnswer credits me for helping you today.