31090051

In Scotland if I own my house and subsequently have a

Customer Question

In Scotland if I own my house and subsequently have a partner living with me, do they have a claim over my home and assets
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No I haven't talked to anyone. It applies.to Scotland.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None this is my first query and it is hypothetically speaking
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 8 days ago.
Th
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Camnot view?
Expert:  JGM replied 8 days ago.

Thanks for your question. A partner would have no direct claim on your house or assets. Any funds held jointly for household expenses would be deemed to be jointly owned. If the partner contributed to the house there could be a compensatory claim on a separation to redress any advantage to you arising from that contribution but that is all assuming you don’t marry. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that JustAnswer credits me for helping you today.