How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 1325
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

I am separated from my daughters mother and both myself and

This answer was rated:

Hi I am separated from my daughters mother and both myself and her mother have since married
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: we were not married however had a daughter who is now 10 I have a court order stating every other weekend and also every Tuesday my daughter is an hour away from me I also take her to school on Wednesday mornings when she stays over on Tuesdays I enjoy a very healthy relationship with my daughter she does well at school I am known to the school to show interest in my daughters education however recently my daughter seems to not get on with her mother her mother and I just can not communicate any longer as she blames myself although when my daughter is with me there is no issues she mixes with kids etc clearly I am concerned there is a divide as my ex partner has other kids I don’t she even called my daughter a spoiled bitch this morning I have grave concerns things are going to get worse for my daughter and I am out my wits worried what can I do previously I went to court around 14 times fighting for custody I am also on the birth certificate
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I stay Glasgow my ex is now in Lanark the court hearings were at Dumbarton sheriff court
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My ex says my daughter plays up it doesn’t happen in school and not with me the school did state there was some kids who require assistance in her area and its key for my daughter not to become involved

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help with this matter if you are still looking for help, please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Ross did you see my question in essence I am concerned for the social well being of my daughter as her father what is my rights I am on the birth very and Kara has my surname
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ross happy to call but in meetings is it possible for a little later on?

I will get back to you this evening, you can ignore the request for the call as it is automatically generated by the website. I am happy to respond via text.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok happy to arrange call tomorrow or Friday
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Ross apologies seen message and no need for call advice around my options as Kara’s father and my growing concern for her social well being would be appreciatedI look forward to hearing from you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Ross are you able to advise?

Hello, I apologies for the delay in response. I am very empathetic to your situation. Your child having your last name makes no legal difference, however, as you are on the birth certificate then you have what is called parental responsibility. I appreciate what you are saying about your daughter's mother and this is not pleasant at all. However, it does not "sound" as though your daughter is in any danger, however, this treatment may have longer term effects. If you have any concerns then you would want to speak firstly to the local social work services who can provide and investigation and even speak to your daughter when she is at school or at very least not with you or her mother. If there are safeguarding concerns then they will also address these. However, if ultimately you want to have the contact arrangement changed to go more in your favour then you will have to do this by way of application to the court. In order to do this you would have to contact a local solicitor (easy done with a basic google search). Your representative will put the issues to a judge at a child welfare hearing and if the judge agrees that it would be in your child's best interest to be moved to have more time with you or, for example, supervised contact with the mother (extreme example) then they will make this legally binding by way of a court order.

I hope this information has helped.

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.


Kind regards




Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Ross this is appreciated

You are very welcome. I would be grateful if you could click the stars at the top of the webpage for me so the website knows I have responded to your question. Thank you.

Ross Miller and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you