How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 3479
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I work part time and my son is 13years old and I cancelled

This answer was rated:

I work part time and my son is 13years old and I cancelled my wrking tax credits because my partner moved in with me, and they stopped my child tax credits aswell and I never told them to.. now they are telling me I’m not entitled to them... can you please help me.
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Scotland and no I can’t efford one.
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Iv phoned tax credits they can’t help me they r telling me I have to go through universal credit but tht doesn’t help me with my missing child tax credits.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I don’t think so.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help with this matter if you are still looking for help, please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’m still looking for help with my child tax credits.

apologies for the delay. As you will be aware people previously receiving different benefits are now being moved over to universal credit and this may be part of the reason for this. However, with this being the case you should be able to get an explanation as to what has happened. You may also be entitled to other elements which you are not yet aware of.

However, the best thing you can do is enlist the help of the Citizens Advice Bureau. They have appointed benefits advisers who are experts in this matter. If you go to them with all your documents then they will be able to assess the situation for you. The Citizens Advice also have programme called QBC this will allow them to input all of your information and do an assessment on your individual situation without having to contact the DWP. This QBC system will also be able to highlight and identify any benefits you may be entitled to but are not qualifying at the moment. If you application is rejected then the CSA can help you with any mandatory reconsideration as well as potentially provide you with representation at a benefits tribunal should this become necessary.

I would be obliged if you could Click to “accept” the answer and leave me a 5 star rating (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge.

Kind regards


RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 3479
Experience: LL.B (Hons)
RJM Law and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you