How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 17060
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have received an 'initial writ' and I am not sure what to

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have received an 'initial writ' and I am not sure what to do next. I admit that I owe the company the money but would like to come to a payment agreement. I have never had dealings with Scottish court system and not sure of my next move.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I live in England, I have not taken legal advice as I have literally just received this in the post.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have just received the writ in the post, as I said, I have not dealt with Scottish court system before. I was googling to see if I could find out how to respond to the writ and came across this website.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think I explained all in first comment.

I am a solicitor in Scotland. How much are you being sued for? Are you being sued as an individual or as a business? Do the papers contain a form for you to apply for time to pay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, We are a business and are being sued for £7822.70 plus interest. There is no form with the documents to request time to pay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just need to know what my next step should be as I obviously do not want a judgement against us.

You can’t apply for a time to pay order on a business debt. All you can do is negotiate an instalment arrangement directly with the Pursuer and stick to it. And you want to agree that they won’t ask for a decree (judgment) if you do stick to the arrangement. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that Just Answer credits me for helping you today.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks