Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Keto diet pills were ordered online in June my husband was

Customer Question

Hi keto diet pills were ordered online in June my husband was sure he only asked for the trial at £29 but they sent the full amount and charged £180. I have sent them back and have been emailing them but they keep saying they are busy and sorry for the delay
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i am in Scotland and the products were bought from Denver USA I have been looking everywhere to start a complaint but unsure because of the areas
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have just emailed them but the last email I gave them another 14 days then I was taking it further
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: they advertise a 60 day money back guarantee and I did not say to them that we only ordered the trail. I was just looking for a refund
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

Did you pay on a credit card?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No debit card
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Please don’t call did not see the cost
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

Thank you. These are known as ‘recurring payments’ and having difficulties with cancelling them is a common issue. Companies tend to use them as they have a one-off authority from the consumer to charge these payments on their card and do not have to set up direct debits or standing orders. It means the company can take amounts as and when they want to – the dates and amounts can also differ. Many genuine companies use them legitimately but there are unfortunately a small proportion of unscrupulous ones who decide to take advantage at the same time.

What makes things difficult for consumers is that their requests to end the charges are unanswered and the company either has not provided any contact details or they ignore all correspondence.

Assuming attempts to cancel these payments directly with the company are unsuccessful, you should contact the card provider - advise them that you are withdrawing your authority and making a formal request for them to terminate these payments. The Financial Conduct Authority has confirmed that in these circumstances “you do have the right to cancel directly with your card issuer. Once you have done this, it must stop payments immediately - it cannot insist that you agree this with the company taking the payment first."

Pursuing the company directly is unrealistic as they are based abroad and you have to go through court which will be financially pointless as you will spend a lot more than what is at stake.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have cancelled this service as I do not wish to be charged for a call
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

Calls are optional, you could have continued without one anyway or just obtained a refund. Has your original query about the payments been answered though?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

Has your original query about the payments been answered though?