Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

The company I work for give the employees a half day Xmas

The company I work for give the employees a half day Xmas shopping every year. My dept manager has said that I can't get it as I've handed in my notice(after 34 years). Is this discrimination
JA: Have you discussed this discrimination issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I'm waiting for a reply from HR
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Employee, no union.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing thanks

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Is this included in your employment contract?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I don't actually care about the half day at all but I do care about unfair actions
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello, is there anyone there ??

Many thanks for your patience. i am afraid this has nothing to do with discrimination and it is not unlawful. Discrimination will only occur if you are being treated unfairly due to things like your gender, age, race, religion, disability...not because you have handed in your notice. So it may appear to you that you are being treated unfairly but it is not illegal and the employer can do this (unless this perk was a contractual entitlement and there was no condition that it won’t apply if you are serving your notice period)

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Many thanks for your help

All the best