Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
106205234

I am been refused having contact since my grandson went to

Customer Question

I am been refused having contact since my grandson went to live with his dad's mother and now she is his gaudian and has a sgo. I have applyed for a child arrangement order and I am at my final hearing in March, due to challenging problems, I have had long term mentel health and have taken overdoses because of how it impacted my daily life, I have explained that I am not doing this anymore and I have made changes in my life to be a better person and that its been over 2 years since I last time did take a over dose and that is behind me now, but has solial serveces already no about my back ground and history of of my mentel health due to them been involved when my child was displaying challenging behavior and now they want my full gp records on mentel, and health, all I am asking is for supervised contact, by his gaudian, and my daughter, who agrees to me seeing my grandson who is 6 years old, is there any advice that u can give me as I am at my final hearing in march
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I am representing my self, I have been to all the hearing S, that started a year and half ago due to the child's gaudian stopping my contact 4 years ago, I applied for a chil arrangement order and was aggreeable, so appealed the decision and I am my final hearing in March. I have made changes, one separating, from a 35 year marriage, due alcoholic, that's was also causing me mentel health problems, and now I am in a good place u want a chance to be in my grandsons life as that life is behind me now, but I still think I am going to be denied contact although I have made changes to my life
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: That's money I don't have
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to no if I have any chance at seeing my grandson, on a supervised contact, as we all live close to each other
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 7 months ago.

Expert:  Ross Miller replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help with this matter.

When the courts look at giving access to people the the ONLY consideration they have is what is best for the child. They are not interested in any emotions or who's done what etc. However, as you have very kindly and bravely stated, you have had issues in the past, this does not in any mean that you are any danger to your grandchild, however, given all the nightmare stories you hear I am sure you can understand why Social work and Cafcass etc. would have concerns. The best thing you can do, is show that you only have your grandchild's best interest at heart. In addition to this you want to highlight what you would call mitigating factors, this is positive steps you have taken to remove yourself from your past indiscretions. By leaving the marriage, and seeking help for your issues, you have already started to do this. Gather as much evidence as you can to show how you have changed your life. This is not only a commendable act, but also shows how much you care about your grandchild's safety. The fact that you are also only asking for supervised contact goes a long way to show that you are attempting to do the right thing. The best advice I can give you, is to show that you are threat or possible issue for your grandchild (use as much evidence as you can) and display to the court that there would be no concerns with you having supervised visits with your grandchild and hopefully displaying this, the court will find no reason why this should not be the case. Remember that where possible, the courts want children to spend time with their relatives.

I hope this information has helped.

Ross

Ross

Ross

Ross

Expert:  Ross Miller replied 6 months ago.

Ross

Ross

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Ross