31090051

My wife and I are equal partners in a business ltd company

Customer Question

My wife and I are equal partners in a business ltd company she does not want to buy my share, can I sell my share to whoever I want? We are in scotland
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. The sale of shares in a private company is usually restricted and the directors have to approve the transfer. The answer to your question as regards ***** ***** question will be found in the company’s Articles of Association or any shareholders agreement if there is one. Generally however you would not be free to sell to anyone you want. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited by JustAnswer for helping you today.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you but there is no agreement, I am the director and my wife company secretary, there are no other shareholders, does that make a difference to your reply?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If not then who can I sell to?
Expert:  JGM replied 6 months ago.
There are Articles of Association. That’s the law. What do the Articles say about registering share transfers?