31090051

I live in Dunkeld Scotland. Next to the main house, but not

I live in Dunkeld Scotland. Next to the main house, but not connected is a cottage which we converted from an outbuilding in 2003. Planning permission was given for usage of Garden Cottage for holiday lets or temporary accommodation.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: sorry I hadn't finished! We have had a successful holiday rental business for 16 years but now want to stop. I have informed the local assessor who says that the cottage will now become an annexe to our house, Tigh Grianach. Will we be able to let this furnished to a lodger as part of our house. I don't want to be involved with Council Tax. Your advice would be appreciated.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No I haven't - that I am asking you. Thank you . ***** *****
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I’ll wait but hope for a answer soon. Thank you MA

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. A lodger is a person who shares accommodation with the homeowner. This is a separate property. It should be handed separately from the main house for council tax purposes and any tenant would be responsible for council tax. It is not an annexe to your house because it is not annexed to your house. You can seek further clarification from the assessor but in my experience of other councils that is not what they do. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited by JustAnswer for helping you today.

Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.