How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 15748
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I live in Dunkeld Scotland. Next to the main house, but not

This answer was rated:

I live in Dunkeld Scotland. Next to the main house, but not connected is a cottage which we converted from an outbuilding in 2003. Planning permission was given for usage of Garden Cottage for holiday lets or temporary accommodation.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: sorry I hadn't finished! We have had a successful holiday rental business for 16 years but now want to stop. I have informed the local assessor who says that the cottage will now become an annexe to our house, Tigh Grianach. Will we be able to let this furnished to a lodger as part of our house. I don't want to be involved with Council Tax. Your advice would be appreciated.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No I haven't - that I am asking you. Thank you . ***** *****
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I’ll wait but hope for a answer soon. Thank you MA

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. A lodger is a person who shares accommodation with the homeowner. This is a separate property. It should be handed separately from the main house for council tax purposes and any tenant would be responsible for council tax. It is not an annexe to your house because it is not annexed to your house. You can seek further clarification from the assessor but in my experience of other councils that is not what they do. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited by JustAnswer for helping you today.

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 15748
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you