How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 70331
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have had a plumber who has charged for items and not

Customer Question

I have had a plumber who has charged for items and not carried out the work satisfactorily. I also paid for a boiler in advance and he never did the work. I only have his name, bank account details and an email address (which seems not to be working) but NO ADDRESS. Am I able to take him to the small claims court ? Can someone get his address from his bank details? I have reported him to the Fraud people who are not helping!
JA: Where is the plumber? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In Streatham - I think he lives in Mitcham
JA: What steps has the plumber taken so far?
Customer: None - he owes £913 - I have texted him repeatedly but no reply
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is it - apart from the whole experience with him was mayhem. A lot of lies. Dexters can verify as can my tenants.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.

How long ago was this?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
October 2019
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Prefer to do on line
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.

Many thanks for your patience. You will not be able to get is address from his bank details unfortunately – the bank will not disclose these details due to strict data protection laws. It would have to be you finding them yourself somehow (for example with a private investigator, or perhaps using, which contains details of the Electoral Register). But you will need an address to make a claim so one way or another you would have to find it and you must bear in mind that if you cannot find it whatever you try, you may not be able to claim, even if he is in the wrong.

Does this answer your query?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.

My response to your query should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to it? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to confirm this by replying on here. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you