31090051

We had a holiday cancelled in April booked through Barrhead

Customer Question

We had a holiday cancelled in April booked through Barrhead Travel.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: it was paid by a Bank of Scotland Visa Debit card we have had no joy in getting and answer or refund from Barrhead travel can we claim a debit card payment back from the Bank of Scotland we stay in Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Emailed both the Port Glasgow Branch and head office email a few times I spoke to the Port Glasgow office on 21st April and they offered a voucher which I said we would not accept as my wife and I are both in our 70s and did not know if we would be fit enough next year
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How do we get a refund and can we claim the bank as it was my Debit Card and not my Credit Card
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.

Can I just be clear, you are in England?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Scotland
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.

And the holiday was in Scotland?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not willing to pay £44
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.

It is no problem. We can do this online.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Holiday was in Turkey
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.

I think I will move this to Scots law for you.

Although I do know the answer, I think you would be better served by a Scots lawyer.

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and can help you with your question today. You are entitled to a refund from the agent within 14 days of cancellation. Many agents are swamped with such cases and some don’t physically have the money to refund everyone so unfortunately what the law says and what is happening in practice are two different things just now. As regards ***** ***** there is no consumer credit protection of you use a debt card but you can ask the bank to attempt a chargeback. Some banks will, others won’t and again there is no guarantee that the agent will have any money at all just now. I hope that helps to answer your question. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system which is usually at the top of your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.