Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I am looking for advice regarding ending the joint and

Customer Question

Hi I am looking for advice regarding ending the joint and several house agreement without agreement of other tenant.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have written the termination letter to solicitor. I have also spoken to Scotland Shelter and Citizen Advice.
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer:***** Fraserburgh AB43 9AF
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Until last week I was renting a house from the Estate Agent but I have decided to leave the property due to split up with my partner. At the moment I
am renting a little bedroom within somebody’s house.The problem raised when I noticed that the Agreement is joint and several what means I am still liable for paying at least the half of the rent. Of course I cannot afford paying for two properties and I do not want to pay for the house I am no longer living in. My ex-partner refuses to remove my name from the agreement and the landlord has not accepted my termination letter of my part of the contract.I feel that I am forced to either come back to the property to live with my ex-partner together or pay the rent for the time my ex-partner decides to stay there. I was speaking to several organisations such as Citizen Advice and Scotland Shelter, they all confirmed that both parties need to terminate the contract. This causes lots of stress and is putting me in the situation where I have actually have no choice at all.The thing is that I am not feeling fully safe staying with my ex-partner at the property. I am afraid of having my stuff being stolen and also worrying about our cooperation as we were arguing a lot. He even stole money form my Bank Account doing online shopping and using my bank details. I have also reported domestic incident with him and police been involved a couple of times.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and can help you with your question today. How long does the lease have to run? Is your ex partner paying the full rent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no expiry date on the lease and we now hace to pay each half amonut.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Is this a new private residential tenancy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are renting it from Estate Agent.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

I asked about the agreement.