How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 16927
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I'm about to go through a divorce and I was wondering if my

Customer Question

Hi I'm about to go through a divorce and I was wondering if my partners debt would be half mine?
JA: What steps have your partners taken? Have they filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No we are just about to start the ball rolling with it
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do your partners live in?
Customer: Sorry I'm confused
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I live in ayr ayrshire scotland. Does this help?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's all thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also we separated officially end of february and I accepted a claim offer for an accident I was in on april after we had separated. Would she be entitled to any of that money?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and can help you with your question today. Debts incurred during the marriage are joint debts. Debts incurred after the marriage affect the person incurring the debt. I hope that helps to answer your question. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system which is usually at the top of your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.