31090051

This is on behalf of my son who has recently been released

Hi, this is on behalf of my son who has recently been released from prison. As he does not have a bank account myself and a social worker helped him to apply to Santander over a week ago but today he was knocked back as he does not have a driving licence or passport. Have you any idea how we can get hima bank account as he needs to apply for his benefits. I'm at my wits end as other banks will be the same.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: We live in edinburgh, scotland, we are scottish. He has his birth certificate and housing papers with his address on.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Would a lawyer be able to help?
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would really appreciate if you could find an answer for me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please ask me questions if you don't fully understand my problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can anyone advise me how an ex prisoner can open a basic bank account without having a driving licence or passport which are standard for most people. He needs a bank account to claim his benefits and basically to live on. He has birth certificate and identification from the prison but not much else.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please continue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can anyone please get back to me.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and can help you with your question today. Is there any reason why your son can’t apply for a passport?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my son has been in prison for the last 18 years so not much chance of getting a passport. He's never had a bank account and we're finding it almost impossible to find a bank that will help. His psychiatrist is writing a letter on his behalf but that will take time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually cancel that, £44 is a lot of money

Not a problem. We can continue in writing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P.ease don't credit me for this money.

Is he a British Citizen? There is no reason why he can’t get a passport. He certainly won’t get a bank account without photo ID nowadays. I hope that helps to answer your question. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system which is usually at the top of your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.

Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.