How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 16928
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My friends lawyer did not freeze her husbands assets.

This answer was rated:

My friends lawyer did not freeze her husbands assets. Charged her a fortune and did ZERO. What can she do to get reimbursed or her husbands assets frozen and get divorced, Now she is left with no money and nothing done by her lawyer! Where does she go for justice?
JA: Where are your friends? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Scotland
JA: What steps have your friends taken so far?
Customer: She has been to law ombusman but gets no support. Its like she has been robbed and left, There must be something or somewhere for this injustice to be sorted.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I wonder if the lawyer can contact her, I can give you telephone or email or both.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and can help you with your question today. Can you explain your situation a little more please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very long winded! Engaged with solicitor over 7 years ago to obtain divorce from abusive Husband.She asked 4 times for full disclosure from him-he played games,she did not go to court & effectively robbed me of nearly 30k .Still not filed for divorce.He has manipulated my son who should be with me and prevents me seeing him.He has now stopped my aliment midst covid /I have no money.
Complained re solicitor to SLCC they did not uphold but referred to law society .The complaint still has not been dealt with 17 months on .I have tried everywhere to engage with a new solicitor but no one is interested due to lack of funds & complaint re previous solicitor.Disgraceful! No body to fight my corner nor get justice re carnage left by previous solicitor.Legal aid not available due to big case.
SLCC said I could elevate complaint to Court of session but no funds or representation to do so.This is unjust and taking advantage of a vulnerable person.
What do you suggest ?

Why was the complaint referred from the SLCC to the Law Society? Was there a conduct issue as opposed to a service issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it appeared that was their decision.Sorry but her work really is a disgrace! I have been left in an horrendous situation.One would almost think she worked for my husband rather than me .

Usually if there is a refusal to comply with disclosure court action would be raised and an order sought for recovery of documents. Can that not be done now by instructing a qualified family lawyer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Time lapse -7 years .He is a wealthy ,sneaky businessman who produced spreadsheets & denied many things .She asked 4 times (separate occasions) to obtain disclosure -he had over 20 bank accounts and offshore in Jersey & Geurnsey.
The whole situation is terrible.
He has moved all assets as she was negligent and did not freeze as she should have .I cannot get a family lawyer to take on my case -I have no funds & legal aid is not possible because of complexity .
So ,how do I get refund & compensation from original solicitor & quickly?
Do I expose the whole thing & legal complaints to media?
I am still being abused by ex and law society don’t care !!!Case still waiting to be dealt with !17 months on .

You could only freeze assets within the jurisdiction of the Scottish court. What should have happened was that a specification of documents could have been enrolled as part of a divorce action and a commissioner appointed to seek out the various assets. However without knowing the case I can’t really advise except insofar as making an assumption that the solicitor was negligent and that it is now too late to pursue your husband. To proceed with a claim for negligence you are essentially suing the solicitor for loss of an opportunity to obtain payment from the divorce. There is no quick way of doing it I’m afraid. A new solicitor has to intimate a claim, the solicitor has to report it to her insurers and they will investigate and either settle or contest the claim. If they contest you will need to raise proceedings. That will be dealt with by the court. Not the law society. If you qualify financially for legal aid, the complexity of an issue is not a consideration if the legal aid board is persuaded that it is reasonable to grant legal aid. I hope that helps to answer your question. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system which is usually at the top of your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you provide names & addresses of legal negligence solicitor firms in Edinburgh/Glasgow please.I have not found one solicitor who will take this case on as they all close rank .Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.I seek justice on all levels surely solicitors enter their profession to do the same ?

It is not correct that solicitors close ranks in negligence cases but they will not take on cases that they do not consider have prospects of success. You could try Allan McDougall in Edinburgh or Harper Macleod in Glasgow. I hope that helps to answer your question. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system which is usually at the top of your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you