31090051

How does criminal conviction lasts for receiving stolen

How long does criminal conviction lasts for receiving stolen goodd
JA: Have theft charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: Sorry I’m talking about a almost
JA: Where did the theft occur?
Customer: 20 years old case
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i received a fine for receiving stolen goods and was fined in sherif court at the time. It was in 2001 My question is am I going to have a criminal recital my life or is there a limit to such sentences. I was just fined and not sent to jail.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and can help you with your question today. A criminal conviction is never removed from your record but in most cases you won’t have to disclose it because it becomes spent under the rehabilitation of offenders legislation. You would only have to disclose it for jobs involving national security. However in practice and because of changes on computer systems over the years it might be that the conviction has been wiped completely and would never show up again. You will not know that unless you offend again and a list of prior convictions is libelled. There is no way to find out in the normal course but it is a fairly safe bet that a 20 year old conviction won’t be a problem now. I hope that helps to answer your question. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system which is usually at the top of your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your answer, another quick question is , how many years is it before a criminal conviction is spent?

It depends on the sentence. A fine would generally be 6 months from the date of conviction. Yours is certainly spent. I hope that helps to answer your question. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system which is usually at the top of your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.