How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 16940
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I hope you can assist me. I reside in Scotland and my late

This answer was rated:

Hi there, I hope you can assist me. I reside in Scotland and my late mother passed suddenly just over 10 years ago with out leaving a will and as my father has a no. of properties and a business, he had us three girls sin into a trust so that when he went, everything was split equally. My eldest sister who has a history of theft and money laundering has effectively taken great advantage of my father to date and turned him against me for no reason other than she want all the money/estate along with my other sister. I have had no interaction with any of them for some years now as i cannot abide their deceitfulness but learned recently that a home my father had in Florida sold for over £300k and i was advised by my middle sister that we were all due approx £60k but my father said to her, don't tell myself as yet, clearly on the instruction from my eldest sister as she would be the one to cook the book so to speak and i got nothing yet both my sisters got £60k each from the sale of the property. I have since learned that i have resigned as a director which i know nothing of so i guess this is forgery and when i went to visit the solicitors that set up the trust, they would not tell me anything, they directed me to my older sister whom i believe has managed to get power of attorney now and as i explained to them that i have had no dealings with her in over ten years they would not give me any information what so ever. I never received copies of the documents i signed into the trust nor can i
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: get any further information so I'm looking for some assistance as to what to do to progress this as there is a lot of money/properties at stake and I appear to have been written out and forgotten. Regards, ***** *****
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I received nothing at the time of signing nor did my sisters. My mother had just died suddenly and I was told on asking for a copy of what I was signing that if I did not sign it then I would get nothing later on. I have been into the solicitors mid last year to ask ref thetrust and they acknowledged it stating that it was a partner and a senior solicitor that drew up the trust initially and to ask my eldest sister which i advised i had no dealing with.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I know my sisters who live locally have benefitted from quite a substantial amount of money from the property sale in Florida and they no longer speak to me and clearly want it all for themselves. My father is very vulnerable at 84 years and my eldest sister is very manipulating, hence money appears to be coming out of her ears with expensive cars, clothes etc.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and can help you with your question today. Have you Spoken to your father about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, with regards ***** ***** question. My father has been turned against me and not spoken to me for years and has done some very nasty things to me over the years and it has all come from my eldest sister, practically since the week my mother died suddenly, she moved in and took control of all my dad's finances, she is the executor of his will, she has his mot centre/garage in her name also and i found out from companies house that i resigned as a Director which i did not so my signature must have been forged as she deals with all the business matters on behalf of my dad, also I found out that I may well have been illegally stepped down/out of the trust as I received no money from the sale of a house in Florida, when my other sister told me that my father had said to her that we 3 girls were all entitled to our equal share of the sale of the property but told her not to mention to me at that point, clearly awaiting to see how my eldest sister could ensure i got nothing. My middle sister no longer speaks to me either nor my nephews etc, for no reason and I really have done nothing wrong or asked for anything from my family all my life. I really dont know what to do as i would have though this is illegal. I have been to a no. of solicitors in Aberdeen last year but unfortunately one wanted £5k upfront and the few others i spoke with as i believe only certain solicitors are rehearsed in trusts/laws etc and I cannot affort £250/£300 per hour as they charge in Aberdeen. Are you able to advise me what i can do myself to get the ball rolling.Regards,
Deborah Gove

I suggest that if you can’t get a solicitor you write to your sister in formal terms asking for the documentation whereby you are purported to have resigned at Companies House and also what the position is as regards ***** ***** Tell her you would want a detailed reply before you contact your solicitor and the authorities. Don’t say much more than that and hopefully that will get the ball rolling as you say. I hope that helps to answer your question. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system which is usually at the top of your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, many thanks for your advice. I will certainly write to my sister at my father address which is the companies registered address as opposed to my sisters home address. What do you suggest I do if she does not respond to my letter. Also, can you advise any solicitors that may be able to take on my case if need be on a no win no fee basis (not necessarily in Aberdeen) as there is a lot of money/property at stake here, which is my inheritance. When my sisters all signed the trust papers about 12 years ago, we were still grieving for my mother and as mums illness was very sudden and subsequent death, she had not written a will and of course owned half of all the properties and business and it was quite some mess so that is why dad decided to put all the properties and business etc into a family trust for us 3 girls when he was gone. When i asked what i was signing and for a copy of the documentation, he really angrily told me that it was nothing to do with me and that if i didnt sign it then i would get nothing later on. My eldest sister is very deceitful and manipulating and was struck off some 25 years or so from a childrens nursery the family owned that she was managing and unknown to my father who had put up the money for the building which is in the west end and listed. My sister had been laundering money, saying to the council/authorities that she only had so many children when she actually had 3 times that amount and as she couldnt bank the thousands of pounds she was stealing every month she was spending it on very expensive jewellery and having driven an old escort previously. Within the fist year of business, she was driving a £90k porche so she has history of theft. Can you advise if this would be a matter for the police also as in my experience, the local police force would say its a civil matter and to get a solicitor but is there a higher body within the police force for these fraudulent actions? Kind regards, ***** *****

If the letter is ignored you will need to instruct a solicitor. The best thing would be to contact the Law Society of Scotland for a recommendation. If there has been fraud then it would be a matter for the police as well as a civil matter. You would get in touch with the fraud section of the police. Check the Police Scotland website. Another thing you could do is get in touch with the Books of Council and Session in Edinburgh and give them the names and approximate dates of the Trust. Many trusts are registered there so that they don’t get lost so they might be able to supply you with an extract. Contact details via