31090051

Friend has been gifted life rent free accommodation from her

Friend has been gifted life long rent free accommodation from her now deceased fiancé. In the event of my friends death the property will pass on to fiancés daughter from previous marriage, are there any particular down falls to this ?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: in Dundee Scotland
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: a will was made
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and can help you with your question today. What you are referring to is a liferent interest in the house. Your friend has the right to stay in the house for as long as she wants but will never own the house. She will have to look after the house and pay the bills. There are no real issueS apart from that. I hope that helps to answer your question. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system which is usually at the top of your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The person who actually inherits the property is being quite nasty and awkward , the will is still in hands of solicitor, would like to know if this was to carry on after estate is finalised what protection does my friend have and what would be best course of action under circumstances

Can you explain the situation a little more please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They have removed items from house of any value and taken keys stating that the items belonged to them although the contents were not included in will, my friend has been in a relationship for 16 years, and lived there 4 nights a week for a number of years

Unless the will specifically granted a liferent over the house contents they would not be included with the house. They would have to hand over the keys however as the liferenter is entitled to vacant and peaceful possession without interruption. I hope that helps to answer your question. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system which is usually at the top of your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thankyou so are they entitled to remove belongings that my friend and fiancée had put in property during relationship together?

Those are deemed to be owned equally so no.