31090051

I am looking to find out some thinys on inheritance,

Customer Question

I am looking to find out some thinys on inheritance
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Scotland
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: My dad didnt have a will and he is currently going to get 50% share of my grandmothers house
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 9 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and can help you with your question today. Can you explain your situation a little more please?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My dad has recently passed away and so has my grandmother. My dad was going to inherit 50% of my grandmothers house along with his sister, it was his intention to buy her out. My dad did not have a will and has 2 sons from previous marriage one being myself and has 2 daughters with his current wife. His current wife wishes to move into the house that they havent yet bought
Expert:  JGM replied 9 days ago.

Who died first, your grandma or your father? Did your father and his wife own the house they lived in? What other estate that you know of did he have when he died?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My grandma died first, my grandmas estate hasnt been split yet. My dad and has wife have a interest only mortgage on the house they live in
Expert:  JGM replied 9 days ago.

Your stepmother has no right to move into the house left to your father and his sister. Because your father died without a will his estate will be divided as follows:

Your stepmother gets the house they lived in.

They she also gets:

• furniture and moveable household goods up to the value of £29,000
  • up to £50,000 in cash
  • a third of the rest of the estate

You and your father’s other children will share the remaining two-thirds of the rest of the estate.

I hope that helps to answer your question. Please leave a positive rating on the star rating system which is usually at the top of your screen. That will allow JustAnswer to credit me for helping you today.