31090051

If I have a 1 bed flat in Scotland, can I live in one room

If I have a 1 bed flat in Scotland, can I live in one room (living room) and rent 1 room to someone?My reasoning is that most of the time I will not be in the flat or only during the weekends, so I wonder if I can buy smaller flat 1 bed and still rent a room, and still comply with mortgage provided (room renting allowed), insurance and council rules.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and can help you with your question today. If your lender allows it then you can do it, subject to registering as a landlord with the council. You do not a multiple occupancy licence but you do need a landlord registration. I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything, I am always happy to help.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Just to clarify, I just need my mortgage lender to agree to rent a room, not to rent a room in 1 bed?

I understood you to say that the lender allowed you to rent a room?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I'll be taking a mortgage with option to rent a room (don't have one yet). I'm just wondering if lenders typically specifies any conditions like must be a minimum 2 bed or if I can rent as long as it meets all legal aspects.

Usually a lender would say that the accommodation must satisfy health and safety and other rules and regulations whether statutory or by the local authority. Your IFA will be able to check the requirements of the lender you apply to. I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything, I am always happy to help.