How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ross Miller Your Own Question
Ross Miller
Ross Miller,
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 2087
Experience:  Director (Litigation and Mediation) at Hilltop Solutions
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
Ross Miller is online now

I have sent the pre legal action letter to the person that

This answer was rated:

I have sent the pre legal action letter to the person that owes me £580, which states "she should acknowledge receipt of the letter within 14 days" if I don't hear anything, what should I do next - the letter also gives her 30 days to either pay me back fully or agree a mutually agreeable repayment plan
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: On the isle of Wight
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I tried messaging her but got totally ignored, so I googled how to take someone to small claims court and it advised me to send a final letter before commencing legal action letter, which I sent via her new employer
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: As she has moved and I had no other way of contacting her
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
If she fails to acknowledge receipt of the letter within 14 days which is , as per the pre action conduct contained in the civic proceedings rules, which stipulates she should acknowledge receipt of the letter within 14 days, what do I do next please

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

Thank you

Thank you for the question. The answer if fairly simple, if they ignore the PAP letter then you would simply look to raise a small claims action agains them. As the sum is less than £10k then it would be a small claims action. This is fairly straight forward and you can do the application online with a simple internet search. If they pay you in the meantime then you can withdraw the action. If you do a small claims then include the fee you pay for this in the amount you are claiming for. So if the fee is £110 then claim for your 580 + 110. Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you. ***** just ask, if she doesn't acknowledge receipt of the letter within 14 days, I do nothing but if she fails to do anything within 30 days - do the small claims thing online? Does it matter that I only have her work address?

If you do not have a copy of her address you will want to inform the court about this and you can state you have the employment address (the employers will not be allowed to give this to you). However to answer your question, if you hear nothing withing the 30 days then raise the acton. You will still be within time to do this.

I hope this information has helped. You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be paid for my time from the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks

Ross Miller and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Of course. Many thanks

I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Having written and sent a PAP letter by recorded delivery, should I get a solicitor to handle my claim in small claims court
Customer: replied 23 hours ago.
The PAP letter gives the person that owes me the money, until the 4th of October to at least start paying me back, should I start the paperwork or online claim form now or wait until the 4th October?