31090051

Thank you for the link to the Glasgow HMO page. The page

Hi,Thank you for the link to the Glasgow HMO page. The page points to Housing (Scotland) Act
2006 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2006/1/pdfs/asp_20060001_en.pdfIs it easy for you to locate the part that says that 3 people in the flat (including the owner) does not require a license? This document is a little bit too heavy read for me, but I want to find it so when the act is updated I can ensure I still comply.

You’re welcome. The relevant section of the 2006 Act is section 126. Here it is: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2006/1/section/126 I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything, I am always happy to help.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I've seen section 126 but I just cannot find this rule, I was hoping I could be pointed to the exact details. I admit language used in the act is difficult for me to understand, and I don't want to misinterpret it.

It’s section 126(1)(a)(ii). Members of two different families living with the owner. I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything, I am always happy to help.

I have edited the words of the section into one sentence:

“An HMO is exempt from the requirement to be licensed....if it is occupied only by the owners of the HMO, either alone, or together with any number of other persons who are unrelated to any of those owners but who are members of the same family or of one or other of two families.”
So you could have an owner and his wife, for example, along with up to two other families. I note your concern to stay up to date with the law. However the HMO legislation hasn’t changed for decades and there is no indication from the Scottish Law Commission that any review of the law is to take place. I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything, I am always happy to help.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Many thanks, ***** ***** have difficulty to understand the original text, but I'm now confident with your advice and will use that when I enquiry about a mortgage and rent rooms. Thanks!