31090051

I have been sheilding since February, I still don’t go out

Hi, I have been sheilding since February, I still don’t go out because of my health problems. I have a complaint I would like to take forward regarding a GP’s behaviour towards me and lack of care.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: hi I would like to talk to someone regarding the behaviour of my GP. I have been sheilding since February and I still don’t go out because of my health problems, just keeping myself safe. I don’t get a chance to actually have a conversation with my GP as he refuses help because I smoke. He walked out of my house last Friday and I desperately needed help, I had written everything down to discuss with him, but I was unable to talk to him because of his demeanor
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none at the moment but I have been considering CAB, I looked at their site and they have a lot of info on there regarding my complaint. I am also considering asking for my medical records. I am so depressed and upset but can’t get any help. I am 74 years and would just like to hear some empathy from someone who cares and I thought it would be my doctor. I have COPD/Asthma and osteoperosis, I lost my left arm in a motor accident when I was 18 and suffer badly with back pain. I just feel I am being judged because I smoke and I know I shouldn’t but I have smoked since I was 16 and just find it so difficult to give up.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: every time I go to the doctors they don’t listen, they are too busy judging me and I leave each time very upset. It is so demoralizing. I understand they would be annoyed with me for smoking but it’s just been really hard for me. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I find i get very distressed going to see my GP, and I have problems with my vocal cords so trying to explain to him how I feel and what I am looking for is quite difficult, but I never get the chance as he always hits me with, just give up smoking. Last year on two occasions he lost his temper with me and told me, “ Alison, I have 5 COPD patients and I don’t want another one, on second occasion this year in February, he sat back in his chair, exasperated, spreading his legs and told me to go into a home! I challenged him last Friday in my house when he visited and he denied all of the above, then he said, you don’t know how many houses I go into with passive smoking, I need to leave and he walked out without helping me with my sore eyes, and discussing other health problems. He phoned me 10 minutes later to apologise and said he would get a prescription for me for antibiotics. !
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I live in Glenrothes Fife

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and can help you with your question today. I am sorry to hear about these issues. Dealing with your questions in turn. You are entitled to ask your doctor’s practice for a copy of your medical records. They are entitled to charge you a reasonable amount for copying. As regards ***** *****’s behaviour you can submit a complaint to your local Heath Board and they will investigate the position for you. You can also ask to be transferred to another GP practice in your area. I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything, I am always happy to help.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you so much I will follow your advice and see what happens.

You’re welcome.