31090051

My mum passed away a few days ago and I can't bear the

Customer Question

My mum passed away a few days ago and I can't bear the thought of the housing association giving her house to anyone else would I be able to take over her tenancy even though I haven't lived there for 7 years
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Glasgow
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None as we all have so much to deal with we've not spoken with them yet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well my mum had that tenancy for 14 and a half years when she passed away and for 7 of them I lived with her I have my own tenancy at the moment
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 12 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Expert:  JGM replied 12 days ago.

You have no automatic right to the tenancy but the Housing Association may allow you to do a transfer from your existing home. Have you asked them for an application form for this. That is what you should try to do. I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay I will ask if I can do this I take it if they say no there's nothing I can do about that.
Expert:  JGM replied 11 days ago.

That's correct, yes.