How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 2091
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I need legal aid for divorce and access to my children. But

This answer was rated:

I need legal aid for divorce and access to my children. But nobody in the north of Scotland does it for this at the moment.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No been struggling with mental health issues
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: Tried in Orkney where i live but they wont do legal aid.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Got papers on Friday saying i have until 22October to reply
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I cant get in to my emails at the moment sorry

This isCustomer welcome to Just Answer.

I have been a legal expert on the site for several years and my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. Your satisfaction is my top priority! Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an lawyer-client relationship and it is always in your best interest to retain legal counsel, if you have a current legal matter, that you need help with.

Please allow me a few moments to reply with my initial answer. I am here but need time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

ReadyLaw and 2 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
If there is a court order in place giving me access to my children. My wife and her solicitor know this but still access is restricted to a contract centre at times to benefit my wife.

I will be calling you shortly.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I cant afford to pay £44 More than once

So do you wish to cancel the call and for me to answer you here?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No i can speak on the phone but only can afford it once sorry
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Are you a solicitor?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi are you there?

Oh I see. It is only charged once. I am here but this is not a text, chat service, so there may be delays in response times. Kindly give me a minute to call you.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ok thanks

You are welcome

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Are you a professional practicing soiisitor?

I have tried to call but the call went to voicemail. I am a practicing barrister.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.

I have tried to call but the call went to voicemail. I am a practicing barrister.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ok thanks this is my no***********

Please note, if you have received documents in the post with respect to the divorce it is not advisable that you ignore them. She would be able to proceed with the application in default, if you were to do so. So, check through the documents there should be a section which allows for you to respond. With respect to the court order allowing contact, she is not permitted to simply change the times. She must comply with the court's order with respect to contact. If she fails to do this you may go back to court and make an application for an enforcement of the existing order.

I see you are also struggling to locate a legal aid solicitor close to you. I recommend clicking on the below link. It does allow for you to locate local solicitors to you. Select the option family and input your postcode or the area you are seeking to find a solicitor. You may then call the offices to confirm whether they do this sort of work on a legal aid basis.

Here is the link as promised:

Hope this clarifies your concern. Kindly let me know if I may further assist. If this does, I will notify customer services we have not spoken today, and, if you have been charged for a call ask for it to be refunded to you.

Kind regards.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
My no is***********sorry gave the wrong no
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thanks for clearing that up

Do you still wish to speak on the phone?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Was talking to female solicitor
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Are you still on line?

Hello again, yes we were speaking with me today. I was trying to see whether there were forms that you could complete in order to do the application yourself. But, I was unable to locate any forms. You will therefore need the help of a solicitor to make the application for the children.

here is a link to all the legal aid solicitors in Scotland. Click on the link to find the one that is closest to you. Remember, they would only be able to assist with the children via legal aid.

Let me know how you get on. I would imagine you will have to try tomorrow when the weekend ends.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
If i cant get a solicitor could i do it my self in court
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I will click on the link thanks for your help. And not talking down to me and listening.

You should be able to do so. What you could try to do, is to attend the local Sherrif's court to see whether they may be able to assist with the necessary forms. I most certainly would not speak down to you. I do understand exactly what you are going through, especially as a dad and feeling as though you do not have as much rights as mother. I do nope you manage to get this resolved and can get to spend more quality time with your children.