How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 16235
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My wife bought a Kenwood Fridge Freezer worth around £750

This answer was rated:

My wife bought a Kenwood Fridge Freezer worth around £750 from Currys In Elgin, Moray back in January 2019 and we paid for a further 12 months parts and labour contract the end of 2019. Curries customer support trades under the the name Team Knowhow and of course she is the named policy holder. Sadly my wife passed away in August 2020 and in September I had to call Team Knowhow to carry out a repair to the ice dispenser function. The call handler asked if there was anything else they could help me with so I asked them to change the name on the repair contract to mine. All she wanted at the time was a copy of the death certificate which I supplied there and then whilst on the call. We have wills in place updated in April 2020, however I now have Team Knowhow requesting a Grant of Probate. Does this mean that whilst our house and Joint bank accounts are all in my name the Fridge Freezer is part of my wife's estate and I can't renew a maintenance contract without a legal document being put in place.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: As I told you above, we I live in Morayshire which if you didn't know is in Scotland. David
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've since had the repair carried out and they are in possession of a copy of her death certificate and that's all really. I'd just as rather wait for the contract to run out in January and apply for a new one in my name. What do you think? We are talking only £65/year for the contract.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

I am sorry for your loss. Firstly you do t get a grant of probate in Scotland, where necessary you apply for Confirmation to the estate. And you would only do that if inheritance tax was die or if there was sufficient assets to justify it. In this case all you should have to do is say that you inherited your wife’s whole estate without having to get Confirmation and you are not going to court to get a confirmation for the sake of a warranty. I’m this instance they should accept the death certificate and if absolutely necessary a copy of the will. I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you