How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
ivorylounge, Advocate
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 36787
Experience:  Over 25 years experience
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

My ex partner has been to her solicitor regarding

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My ex partner has been to her solicitor regarding separation. She currently stays at her parents after separating. We have 2 children aged 2 and 7 together. Her solicitor asked either myself or my solicitor, which I don't have, to reply to her email which was when I can have the kids and I have agreed to her demands and we also are still on talking terms so flexible with looking after and having time with the children. Also in the email was that I had to contact our joint mortgage lender to discuss buying my parter out or selling the house. Do I need a family law solicitor if I agree to having the children by her timetable and do I have to get a solicitor to reply within 14 days as her solicitor demands.
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: No papers have been filed a family court. This was my ex partners first visit to a solicitor.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does she live in?
Customer: Highland, in Scotland
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I'm just wanting to know whether I need a family law solicitor if I have agreed to what is within the letter but her solicitor wants a reply from my family law solicitor within 14 days. Thank you.

Let me see if I can help and please rate 5 stars. It is a matter for you as to whether you decide to instruct a solicitor to act for you. You can simply agree to her proposals and indicate this in writing or indeed an email to them. I hope that this helps and please rate 5 stars

ivorylounge and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replied to my ex partners solicitor saying on the grounds of spending time with our children I am happy with what has been proposed. I also replied that I dont need legal representation on that matter as my ex partner and I are happy with the arrangements in the email. But I did say regarding our jointly owned property that I/ we would require legal guidance. Her solicitor then replied. I need to have correspondence from your family law layer within 14 days. I can't see how that is necessary if I have agreed to proposals laid out in the original email. And it took 4 weeks from when my ex booked an appointment to when I received an email. Not a headed letter as I expected. Thank you. Ian.