31090051

Based in Scotland. Brother in law has put in an offer on a

Customer Question

Hello. Based in Scotland. Brother in law has put in an offer on a house, mortgage in place & financial advisor in place. House offer accepted back in mid September, all relevant documents handed in as evidence to Solicitor at this time. Sale of house has now fell through 2 months after offer accepted as solicitor further questioning where deposit funds have come from and has asked for further statements and now has 2 years worth of thess. Funds have come from saving & selling cars, a lot of which was done on eBay & Gumtree. Solicitor has been asking for his login details for said websites to check legitimacy of sales. Brother in law questioned this and solicitor has now said she'll no longer work with him as she states she has not happy with how the funds have been raised. General consensus from brother in law is he feels that she is accusing him of money laundering which is incorrect. She's refusing to answer phone or speak to him and no other solicitor is willing to help because of strained relationship with current solicitor. What we can we do?
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: Have raised complaint with solicitor and have asked for a call back from a senior partner.
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, raised it all above.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 17 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Expert:  JGM replied 17 days ago.

A solicitor has to carry out a money laundering risk assessment and has to be satisfied as to the source of funds. Anything on eBay can presumably be verified by a PayPal account printout. Gumtree might be more difficult but a print of the advertisements would be a starting point. I have never heard of a case where a solicitor has asked for login details for accounts. That is just nonsense and a breach of privacy. You are right to complain to the complaints partner and you can also complain to the SLCC if the complaint isn’t resolved. I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you for the response, greatly appreciated.
Expert:  JGM replied 17 days ago.

You’re welcome. I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything, I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question.