31090051

I have a question regarding my license to occupy my office,

Customer Question

I have a question regarding my license to occupy my office, which I now can't afford. I wanted to check some terminology to ascertain whether I am right.
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The wording under "duration" says 'The license shall run for one year to 31st January 2021 and monthly after the initial 1 year period from the Date of Entry until the licensor or the Licensee serves on the other at least 3 months notice of termination at any time'To me, that means, that actually notice of 3 months can be served from either side, at any time?
Expert:  JGM replied 14 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Expert:  JGM replied 14 days ago.

The clause means that the licence runs for at least a year and any time after the year is up three month’s notice of termination can be given. It means in practice that the licence is for a minimum of 15 months and not a year. It’s something that’s very often missed in the drafting of that type of agreement.

Expert:  JGM replied 14 days ago.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks for your help. I'm stuck in a lease that I can't afford. My landlord has given no help during Covid, and will not help at all. Is there anything I can do, so that I can argue to be let out early? Hope you can help, thanks in advance, Nick
Expert:  JGM replied 14 days ago.

In the absence of anything specific in the lease, I’m afraid not. You could try to get the landlord to take a commercial view and accept a reduced payment otherwise he gets nothing. Some landlords have been quite good through the pandemic. Others, like yours, and mine I may say, have not.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you so much. Really appreciate it.
Expert:  JGM replied 14 days ago.

You’re welcome. Thank you for using JustAnswer.