How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 16365
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

We moved to Scotland 20 years ago - bought 40 acres of land

This answer was rated:

We moved to Scotland 20 years ago - bought 40 acres of land and built our own house -we want to leave everything to our only child but are not sure about the difference between Scots inheritance law and English
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: Agricultural holding in Wester Ross - not a croft
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Is it your intention to leave everything to each other on the first death and then to your child or do you have another course of action in mind? What are your specific concerns?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
We are both 80 and have various health problems so don't have any other concerns - the property is registered in both our names

Then you can each make a Will expressing your wishes. You should have this drawn up by a solicitor who can discuss the best way of dealing with this because there are certain things that could possibly be done to save inheritance tax and also to avoid losing part of your estate to the cost of nursing care should this be needed in the future. An examination of the title would also need to be done to advise on this. I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

JGM and 4 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you