How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 16605
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I built my dream house 12 years ago and recently noticed

This answer was rated:

I built my dream house 12 years ago and recently noticed cracks in the walls. Further investigations revealed the concrete blocks are crumbling. Some blocks have been removed for testing and found to not meet the industry standards. My home insurance wont pay out. The company making the blocks denies any responsibility. I'm facing financial ruin with possible £300k to rebuild my house. Can I get any reimbursement for this. My builder has retired and the block manufacturer is closing down and starting under different trade name.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: We've had blocks tested, reported to local councils, reported to trading standards, been told by local solicitors theres nothing we can do
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: There are at least 12 houses affected in Caithness
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I can wait for a answer but not indefinitely. I need to repair my house and not spend tens of thousands chasing a lost cause
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can I claim from my builder's insurance even though it was 2008 he built it and is now retired?

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

You can sue your builder on the basis of breach of contract. If he is worth suing. You say he is retired. Did he contract with you as an individual or through a limited company. If he traded as a company it will probably have no assets and may even be dissolved. If he traded as an individual would he have the means to satisfy a court decree? Often, time bar issues arise in these type of cases but as this defect has just come to light that should not be an issue. You could also sue the block manufacturer not for breach of contract as there is no contract between you and them but for negligence. If they are imminently closing down and perhaps transferring assets to another organisation you might need a court order to stop that happening pending the case that you would intend to raise. I suggest you see a litigation solicitor local to you as soon as you can to discuss these options.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 16605
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you