31090051

Do I need a solicitor to sub let part of my shop lease, no,

Customer Question

Do I need a solicitor to sub let part of my shop lease
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: glasgow
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 10 days ago.

Expert:  JGM replied 10 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Expert:  JGM replied 10 days ago.

Yes, you should instruct a solicitor. Most commercial leases have a provision that a property cannot be sublet in part. Your solicitor will have to check your lease to see if there is such a provision there. Even if the lease allows subletting in part you will need to draw up the paperwork correctly and have any sub lease signed, and you will also require landlords consent.

Expert:  JGM replied 10 days ago.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.