31090051

My daughter is looking to put an offer in on a property in

Customer Question

My daughter is looking to put an offer in on a property in Scotland with a closing date next Wednesday. She wants to offer £110,000 but will require a mortgage of around 85% as the property will require some extensive renovations. I am considering making a cash offer in her name but would offer £100,000 for a clean sale. My question is can she make two offers on the same property and is this considered ethical? Also appreciate any tips on the pros and cons of each option.
JA: What steps has your daughter taken so far? Has she prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: At this time no she has only learnt that it is going to closing date after only going on the market last week . She has however started the ball rolling to get a mortgage in principal
JA: Has she talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 13 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Expert:  JGM replied 13 days ago.

No she can’t make 2 offers. However an offer could go in in her name and one in yours. The seller will typically take the highest offer at this level. £10,000 less for a cash offer will be of no attraction to a seller at this level. £110,000 subject to finance is a more attractive proposal.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
If I were to put in a cash offer would I need to be the owner of could I have ownership in her name if the offer was accepted. I would like to avoid second property tax . She would then look to buy the property following the home improvements being carried out via a mortgage ( at a discount) in about 6 to 9 months time
Expert:  JGM replied 13 days ago.

Yes, you can do that.