31090051

In scotland can a sitting sheriff on completion of the

in scotland can a sitting sheriff on completion of the evidence at trial decide to dispense with a jury and make the finding himself
JA: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: court appearance is complete on child sexual offences
JA: Where did this occur?
Customer: aberdeen sherriff court
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Evidence was assessed as sufficient to go to a sherrif and juty court but mainly on the compelling v/recorded evidence of the 9 year old

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

At the conclusion of the evidence legal submissions of “no case to answer” can be made to the sheriff to the effect that there is insufficient evidence to convict or that the evidence does not amount to a criminal offence. In those circumstances the case would not be put to the jury as these are legal issues for the sheriff to decide.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.