31090051

I have a question about consumer rights when an order is

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question about consumer rights when an order is delayed due to COVID restrictions?
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Sure, I live in Glasgow, Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have contacted the company to ask for a rough estimate of when the product will be received and installed now that restrictions have ended - and they have told me that it is impossible to say (it is shutters for two bedrooms for my house). I placed the order last September
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The original installation date was supposed to be in January then moved to February but couldn't go ahead because of COVID restrictions on essential work. I would like to know the installation date because I'd only accepted the original delay because it was during the winter and I didn't mind not having the shutters in place but with lighter mornings I would like to know a time frame so I can plan whether to get something temporary in the meantime or not but they have said that there is no way they can tell me when a likely installation date could be which I don't feel is reasonable
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 11 days ago.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi, I am ok to wait. Thanks
Expert:  JGM replied 10 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Expert:  JGM replied 10 days ago.

You can’t force them to give you a date for installation. However you can now terminate the contract and claim any money back that you have paid them. The reason is that whilst time may not have been the essence of the contract they are now in breach of contract by not completing or offering to complete with a reasonable time.

Expert:  JGM replied 10 days ago.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
That’s great, thanks for your help
Expert:  JGM replied 9 days ago.

You’re welcome.