How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 16797
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My husband and I are separated, he planned to divorce me and

Customer Question

my husband and I are separated, he planned to divorce me and I recieved a settlement, but in fact I believe we are still married, having had no paperwork and being unable to find the divorce details. Am I still next of kin?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: none, I looked at Scotlands People website and can find our wedding, but no divorce
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No. I'm not needing to, I don'y want to remarry or anything
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: not really, he was on about his funeral plans etc, I just want to know if i'm still responsible....
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 15 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  JGM replied 15 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Expert:  JGM replied 15 days ago.

You can get a copy of your divorce/dissolution extract by applying in writing to the court which granted the divorce/dissolution. You should provide as much detail as you can, for example the name of parties, date of divorce/dissolution, date and place of marriage/partnership. A fee will be payable, The Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service do not hold historical divorce/dissolution records. Records that are older than 25 years are held by the National Records of Scotland. You can also order an extract from the Register of Divorces (post 1984) from the National Records of Scotland. If you are not sure if you are divorced or not give as many details about you and your husband by way of full names, date of marriage etc. The sheriff court to get in touch with is likely to be the one you were local to at the time of separation.

Expert:  JGM replied 15 days ago.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.