How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 16790
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My partner lives with gis adult daughter. she messes up the

Customer Question

hello my partner lives with gis adult daughter. she messes up the house, took his rooms, use it as store rooms and refuses to clean or move out. she has work. he does not know what to do. she is in her 30ties, he end if 60ties. she simply ignores him and his wishes.
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: what kind of papers?
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: edinburgh, ratho
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 8 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  JGM replied 7 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Expert:  JGM replied 7 days ago.

Does your partner own the house?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Expert:  JGM replied 7 days ago.

The daughter has no tenancy rights unless there is an agreement or if rent is being paid. He can tell her to leave. Immediately.

Expert:  JGM replied 7 days ago.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
thank you for your response. the daughter is not paying rent, there is no agreement, he has problems to get money for electricity etc from her, but need it as he is on minimum retirement income. She went in 5 years ago after he was in hospital. he is very well now. he took his sleeping room, spread all her belongings in the whole house, refuses to clean, ( she is cleaning her room, only) and was asked in October last year, to bring the stuff in her room and start to look for an own apartment, as he wants to sell the house and buy a smaller apartment; he literally wrote to her and her brother ( who also uses the house as store room) that he is thankful that they helped him after hospital but he want his life and his house back and have some final years of happiness. in addition he needs to sell the house, because his monthly income is not enough. and it is entirely his house. he is divorced since about 30 years. they just do not react. he calls it manipulation through inaction.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
the adult daughter literally stick the tongue out as he asked last weekend that she please helps cleaning the bathroom and take her stuff out of all rooms.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I know it sounds crazy, I also was not aware of such passive aggressive violence, but this is what it is. they ignore his right of living his life according to his wishes.
Expert:  JGM replied 6 days ago.

He can ask them to leave and take their possessions with them. If they don’t he can dispose of their possessions and change the locks.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
ok, thank you for your response
Expert:  JGM replied 6 days ago.

You’re welcome.