How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 16864
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My mother passed away in January 2020 and as I am the eldest

Customer Question

My mother passed away in January 2020 and as I am the eldest of two I have not been able to get a breakdown of her estate or comply of her will. On contacting mother’s solicitor he told me he was no longer mum’s executor and that I would have to contact my sister. I have not had a relationship with my sister since 2009. I have contacted probate court in Greenock and Paisley but they have nothing registered for my mum. Can you please advise what my next step would be?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Ayrshire scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have contacted my mum’ solicitor who was her executor but he said he is no longer executor and that I would need to contact my sister as she was mum’s executor now. I was not informed of this. I contacted probate court in Paisley and Greenock to enquirer about ,copies of mum’s will and breakdown of her estate but they have nothing registered.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I do not have a relationship with my sister
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 15 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either  give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Expert:  JGM replied 15 days ago.

As you are entitled to share in your mother's estate by way of legal rights if not via a will you are entitled to know about the estate and what has been done with it. Write to your sister or better still get your own solicitor to do so. If she refuses to cooperate your remedy is to raise an action for accounting in the sheriff court.

Expert:  JGM replied 15 days ago.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I will write to my sister in the first instance.
requesting the information that I require giving her a date that she responds and if she does not respond to the letter I will contact my Solicitor.Thanks again
Expert:  JGM replied 14 days ago.

You’re welcome.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Very sound advice.Thanks