31090051

I have been offered a payment for an accident that the

Customer Question

I have been offered a payment for an accident that the council have admitted liability. They have given an offer but they are saying it will be taken for council tax arrears. I did not sign anything about this. I need to know if this is correct.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have had claim in for over 2 years now and they have come back with an offer but are stating they are keeping it for council tax arrears.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Airdrie
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 17 days ago.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Yeah I can wait but would like some assistance as soon as possible. Thanks very much.
Expert:  JGM replied 17 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Expert:  JGM replied 17 days ago.

This is very common. The council are entitled and will deduct any council tax arrears from any damages settlement they offer you.

Expert:  JGM replied 17 days ago.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.