31090051

If you are in a block of 8 flats, and there is a crack down

if you are in a block of 8 flats, and there is a crack down one side of the building do you only have to pay for an 8th share or is it down to the people on the side with the crack to share the bill, i know the roof rhones and waste/down pipes is between all 8 of us,
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: we have advised everyone in the block, but as it is a bit of an emergency to stop water getting in, we have engaged builders to do the work and i will pay it just now and bill the other owners for their share, as we cannot get jobs done in flats unless someone arranges to pay the bill
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: on a main road in Hawick Scottish borders
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: we are all owners, but one of them, said they dint have to pay for walls that are not on their side

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am happy to wait
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I am happy to wait for an answer

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

The title deeds will generally say what properties are responsible for what. Typically the roof, outside walls and solum would be owned in common but that is not always the case and the title deeds should be checked. If the titles are silent then the Tenements (Scotland) Act applies and that says that outside walls are owned in common. That would mean that the costs are split 8 ways irrespective of where the damage is.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thank you it is as i thought it was, but needed it clarified.