31090051

My dad recently died, I held POA for him in life, however

Customer Question

my dad recently died, I held POA for him in life, however appreciate that died with him. I dealt with all his finances/ health etc. My dad was in belief that that he ahd a will, which he had been trying to change just as covod lock down happened. i had taken him to see the solicitors in question last march. they advised him there was a conflict of interests and to seek independent legal advice. when i contacted the solicitors to request will they advised me that paperwork they held was work they had done on behalf of my brother therefore could not help me. I believe my brother many years ago got something written up which my dad signed which gave my dad life tennacy in his house. I am at a loss what to do now, do i ask my brother to get paperwork, things aren't particularly on good terms with hi at moment, he demanded the keys moved in to my dad's house as soon as my died, before he was even taken to mortuary in hospital. didn't contibute to funeral fees leaving sister and self to pay the bill. any advice on what I should do would be appreciated.
JA: Can you tell me where this is? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: my dad resided in whitburn, the solicitors in bathgate (west lothian, scotland) and I do not know what paperwork, i think was like a living will / gift in favour of all to brother,
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: as I do not have any paperwork, my dad had never been given a copy
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: my mum also signed, she died almost 10 years ago includes land, 2 properties and a businees / workshops all his possessions / tools vintage cars
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 9 days ago.

Expert:  JGM replied 8 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Expert:  JGM replied 8 days ago.

From what you say a starting point would be to establish in whose name the house is. If you give me the  address I can do that for you.

Expert:  JGM replied 7 days ago.

As advised before we can advise fully you will need to find out who owns the house at present. Happy to help further with more information.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
property addresses, 25 and 25A LONGRIDGE ROAD, EH478HB
Expert:  JGM replied 2 days ago.

I’m afraid neither of these properties are on the Land Register of `Scotland which means they are on the older Sasine Register. You will need to get in touch with Millar & Bryce who specialise in searching the registers and they will be able to do an ownership search for you, usually costing about £50 per property search. They can be contacted via their website or on 0131(###) ###-####