31090051

I am buying an auction property in cash but the sellers

Customer Question

I am buying an auction property in cash but the sellers solicitor has reached stalemate with me and is unable to complete. The conveyancing could last months, years, or indefinite if the seller doesn't terminate their solicitor. What is the maximum amount of time a seller solicitor is allowed to take? e.g. is 5 years allowed?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I am buying direct but solicitor is unable to complete.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: paisley
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the stalemate is because they are allowing me to complete with no money laundering checks because they say they should act for both buyer/seller. I don't wish to do this, so indefinite stalemate as they are unable to complete in an AML complaint was according to what they say.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 5 days ago.

Expert:  JGM replied 5 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Expert:  JGM replied 5 days ago.

Unless both clients are close family members or established clients of the firm and in other very limited exceptions, a solicitors’ firm can’t act for both parties. Both parties have to be separately represented. The AML would typically be done by the auctioneer at or about the time you put in your bid. Your own solicitor should be able to sort this out for you surely?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** me understand the problem sufficient to fix it. The auctioneer never did any AML checks, and when I try to ask a Scottish Solicitor to do an AML check they don't offer that service and only do an all or nothing approach for their conveyancing business. Maybe a Solicitor outside of Scotland can help me and that's my problem. I don't know why Scottish Solicitors don't want my business for this but probably just as well in case they try to hold my funds hostage for their own financial self-interest. If auctioneer doesn't do AML it seems I can reach out to a non-Scottish UK Solicitor. Thanks for your good explanation.
Expert:  JGM replied 4 days ago.

You’re we3lcome.