31090051

In Scots law is a verbal agreement legally binding in house

In Scots law is a verbal agreement legally binding in house purchase
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: we are in Monifieth Angus Scotland DD5 4HA
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: we sold our own house yesterday the house we were hoping to get when on the market the first time was under offer but it has come back on the market because the person whose bid had been successful changed his mind as his house had not sold he has now come back today with another offer and it has been verbally accepted according to the seling agent we wondered if we could offer to top the offer to ensure we could get it
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no that is the crux of the matter as we could not put an offer in before because our house was not sold and we got the conformation yesterday the sale is going through

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

A verbal offer isn’t binding in Scotland. Until missives are concluded in writing either party can walk away.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for you advice it is what we hoped for so at this point in time we have no further questions but should the matter not be resolved we will contact you again best regards Ian & Pam Bissett