How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 17054
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Scots law: please can you help me find a case that I can

Customer Question

Scots law: please can you help me find a case that I can look at or act that will help me in my case. I have multiple sclerosis and have paid most of my mortgage off and took out a couple of pensions which will help me later in life when I am wheelchair bound or bedridden. Since then I am going through divorce and my ex wants majority if not at least 50% of everything. I worked hard throughout my marriage just to have a stable life in the future. Can I claim more than my ex because of my disability which will effect me more later in life?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 16 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Expert:  JGM replied 16 days ago.

Scots law says that assets accrued during marriage are to be “fairly” shared between the parties. Where a party to a marriage has a disability the court is entitled to take this into account when dividing up the assets. The nature of your illness is such that a court would do so here. You should engage a good family lawyer in your area to help you with this. That is very important.

Expert:  JGM replied 16 days ago.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Appreciate your reply. Thank you.
Expert:  JGM replied 13 days ago.

You’re welcome.