31090051

Whilst walking my dog pulled away from me and attacked

Customer Question

Whilst walking my dog pulled away from me and attacked another dog who was on a lead. Both dogs had scratches and the other dog got 2 puncture wounds on its paw. I have given the owners My name and number. I'm worried about what the legal implications of this will be. They were very angry despite me taking full responsibility for paying vets fees and explaining that I had no reason or way of knowing that my dog would slip his lead and that the whole incident was unexpected
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None it happens late last night I gave them my details
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 21 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Ok
Expert:  JGM replied 21 days ago.

If you dog hasn’t done this before and it was out of character then there is an argument that the incident was not your fault. However as you have offered to pay vet fees that is all the other party can expect in the circumstances. There’s nothin more you can do apart from that.

Expert:  JGM replied 21 days ago.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
OK thank you.
Expert:  JGM replied 21 days ago.

You’re welcome.