31090051

I took in a sub tenant who for 2 months did not pay any

Customer Question

Good Morning, I took in a sub tenant who for 2 months did not pay any council tax. The council re calculated the amount owed and increased it so we could pay off the I contacted the council and the debt. My sub tenant has now moved out and the council are not able to help me by sending individualised bills. Is this Subtenant responsible for paying the debt? Thank you!
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Scotland it was a legal Subtenancy
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’ve contacted the council they told me I have to sort it out with the individual myself and she’s not willing to cooperate
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 13 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either  give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Expert:  JGM replied 13 days ago.

If the sub tenant occupied the property and you did not then the sub tenant is the occupier. If you continued to occupy then the council can claim all of the council tax from you as joint occupier..

Expert:  JGM replied 13 days ago.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi,Thank you for getting back to me. For some context I was living in the property as well. The subtenant informed the council when she moved into the flat so some letters were addressed to both of us
Expert:  JGM replied 12 days ago.

You are responsible for the council tax then.