31090051

I’m trying to get divorced. My lawyer last week informed me

Customer Question

Hi I’m trying to get divorced. My lawyer last week informed me that I had agreed to pay monthly £780.00 which I would never do. I am 15 months into this divorce and haven’t even had an offer. It s like they have done next nothing for me. Any issues that have come up for example like my maiden name on one of my pensions I ended up resolving by my self after lots of phone calls etc and they still charged me an extra £300.00 for the little work they did just with that issue. I feel like this is some kind of extortion now as I am so long into this. I don’t know what to do but I don’t know anyone that can afford that kind of monthly payment, I sure can’t. Please help what should or can I do
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: East Kilbride, just south of glasgow
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have spoken to another lawyer but can’t get an appointment for a while but a friend has recommended them and said they were great with her divorce
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I think that’s everything. Thank you
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Peter Collins replied 15 days ago.

Good morning

My name is ***** ***** I specialise in family law. I’m happy to assist you today and I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

I'll do my best to resolve this for you, please give me time to review your question and I will revert back to you shortly.

Ah - I note you are in Scotland. In that case I'll have to opt out for a Scots law colleague to assist you.

Expert:  JGM replied 15 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either  give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Expert:  JGM replied 15 days ago.

Unless you have any specific question for me I think you have answered the main issue for yourself: if you are not happy with your solicitor get a new one and always take a friend's recommendation seriously. Be aware that solicitors charge for non legal aid divorce work on a time basis, usually at a rate which can range between £180 and £250 per hour plus VAT and outlays.

Expert:  JGM replied 15 days ago.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.