How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 17052
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am currently suffering from harassment from my neighbour

Customer Question

I am currently suffering from harassment from my neighbour and have been for a number of years now. The stage I am at just now is he has had a number of police warnings to stop his behaviour and now he has been charged for his last episode and is currently out on bail with conditions stop any communication with me and my partner. The police safety community team are now also involved and have suggested we seek legal advise about this situation and as it has been proven from past history this neighbour plays the system and waits until his warnings have expired and I am 100% confident that when he goes to court and the bail conditions are dropped he will start his behaviours again. What can I do and what type of solicitor can help me with this?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sorry I am in Fife, Scotland, UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: At the moment it has just been fife council and poilce scotland I have been in contact with and followed there instructions but legally I have not took any steps as of yet cause I dont know what my rights are or how to go about starting a harassment etc
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have some CCTV of his behaviour and he tried to stalk us on line which I have kept these messages and witnesses to some of the events and I have shown the police as well. Even low the police did not always take statements from the witnesses
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (TQ66LP5)
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (LZ7P3QL)
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (GG5312L)
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
File attached (V5TTV7P)
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have sent all communications I have had with fife council which will give you a more detailed idea of what this neighbour is doing to us but the statements which the police did take will have more detail in them from witnesses I have also sent screen shots of his on-line stalking and some of the CCTV stuff I have as we had issues with the new cameras and still dont know how to fully work them. We are in the middle of getting a professional in to get cameras to record 24 hours instead of what we got. I have now had my first appointment with the police safety community Team and they have took a pile of stuff away with them and are going to review everything and confirm what has actually all be dealt with and re-arrange another meeting with us,
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 11 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
will wait
Expert:  JGM replied 11 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Expert:  JGM replied 11 days ago.

You can contact the ASBO section of the council about this. You can also get a civil litigation solicitor to take him to court with proceedings for interdict and protection from harassment and if breached the order he can be held in contempt of court and fined and/or imprisoned.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Already been given this information from other resources