31090051

My 14 year old daughter was involved a fight with her friend

My 14 year old daughter was involved a fight with her friend and the person they fought with. For weeks theres been problems in the class room with this girl and her group of friends which ive reported to the school. Leading up to the fight my daugher and her friends were walking to the shops at lunch and they were followed and harrassed by this girl and her friends. The girl kept saying she was going to fight my daughters friend to which she was repeatedly to no, there is not going to be a fight. As a last ditch attempt to get the girl to leave them alone my daughter and her friend said if you start on our friend it will be us that you need to deal with. The girl became more confontational with her body language and while staring at my daughters group tied her hair back and took off her tie as if getting ready to fight. Some of her friends at this point said just hit her. Her friends started filming, the girl looked into the camera, smirked then became verbally aggressive to my daughter moving closer to her. My daughter pushed her back and thats when the fight broke out. The mother of the girl is adament that she will press charges. Is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening
JA: Has she talked to a lawyer about this? What country does she live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: No and we live in scotland
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: All parties and parents have had meetings with the school and the campus police. The school know all the back ground leading up to the fight and my complaint/fears i raised 3weeks prior about how my daughter was struggling with this group in class.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My daughter admitted to pushing first straight away.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland with 35 years of experience in private practice and I hope that I can help you with your question today. Let me have a quick look at your question and I will either give you an initial answer or ask you for further information. I aim to respond as quickly as I can but sometimes I may want to take a little time to consider your question so as to give you the best possible answer.

Has your daughter been charged?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No not yet as the school and campus pc dont want her charged as they feel it is not like her to behave like this, she has no previous bad bahaviour and i got the impression the same couldnt be said for the other girl. Theyre trying to dissuade the mother from pressing charges

The mother doesn’t have the power to press charges then. In Scotland, unlike England, the procurator fiscal decides whether or not to prosecute in the public interest. A fight participated in by schoolgirls is not in the public interest to take further when the school etc can deal with it.

I hope this helped you today. Please do let me know if I can clarify anything. I am always happy to help. You are always welcome to ask a follow up question if it will help you further.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thats great thank you very much

You’re welcome.