How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 3446
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

We were offered a £500 refund on a holiday rental house

This answer was rated:

We were offered a £500 refund on a holiday rental house which we paid £1150 for one week. The main reason being that the house was not clean, at a time when they are supposed to be deep cleaned. My wife has a text on her phone of this offer. However, despite contacting the company several times we're now being ignored. I'm considering raising a small claims action, but don't want to spend £119 if this text isn't considered as proof. Can you advise?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Scotland. Holiday home also in Scotland.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I phoned the house manager 3 or 4 times and was told she would send me proof that she had informed to send us a refund. Every time I phoned back the excuse was, she hadn't made it back to the office, she would do it the next day. Next time she was just going to do it right away. I received nothing and have now sent 3 emails requesting that she fulfils her promise and have advised that I will make a claim but still no replies.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We have pictures of the rooms which were taken on arrival, showing the mess it was in.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Thank you for the question.  If you have proof they offered the refund then it can be considered in court as evidence.  You can also ask the court to have the respondent repay the court fee to you as part of your claim.  I would write to them in the first instance and state that if they do not comply then you will raise legal action.

You can complete the forms for a claims action easily online.  You will have to highlight what the issues are and tell them how much you are claiming for, to be honest the first are straight forward and self-explanatory.   If you feel you can do this yourself then you don’t really need to hire a solicitor but I will provide details for you in case you feel you want to.  You will then receive a response to the claim and a court date.  On the day (unless they offer a settlement) you will appear at the local court and basically provide your evidence and give you claim to the judge and they will response.  The judge will assess the merits of the claim and defence and make a judgement this should be relatively easy for you to prove so the respondent may well offer a settlement in the meantime.

I hope this information has helped.  You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

If you require any help moving forward on this matter in the  future,  please do feel free to come back to us and I would be more than happy to assist.

Kindest Regards.

RJM Law and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thanks for the advice. I did advise them in my last email that I would be instigating a claim, but, as before, have not received a response. I think I will go ahead and proceed with an online claim. Best regards.